Thursday, December 8, 2022

War Diary of Richard Steele - Fourth of July, 1945 - Loading Up in Seattle
 
 

 

Sun – July 1, 1945 – Left the Pacific at 3:30AM headed into the Straight of Juan de Fuca between British Vancouver Is. + State of Washington – beautiful country! High snow-capped peaks on both sides and Mt. Olympia all snow!  We made a “crash landing” when tied up to the dock. Tore life rafts off.  Seattle is beautiful and Mt. Ranier in back all covered with snow is beautiful.  Went after mail by riding busses into town – a long ride too – got 3 letters from Ethel. Her father is OK which is good.  But she’s got a bug to sell the house (my God what’s gone wrong with her?) She’s trying to do too much anyway  - her mother is working and Ethel is trying to take care of both her place and our place – it makes me so goddamn mad – I’d call her but don’t even know where the hell she is! This is the pay-off!

 

Mon July 2, 1945 – Still tied up at pier 91 – Naval Base Seattle, Wash.  This AM I went after mail in Seattle. Bummed a ride in and rode a bus back in P.M.  Had my boys store chain in tank deck and then chipped paint on fantail – hot and clear.  I got two letters from Ethel. Now she’s got a job on the governing board – OK if she can stand it – Goddamn why’d I ever get in this goddamn war! If things were OK at home I wouldn’t mind – her father is OK I guess – but as usual she doesn’t tell me what it was! An instance of the goddamn incompetence of the officers is their insistence that the lines tying us have to be tightened every hour! I told __ Boyer the OD today it wasn’t necessary but he insisted – the old man came along and told him to leave the lines alone! For once I was glad to see him appear on the scene.

 

Tues – Moved to the next dock at 6 AM and had the 2 screws removed then went up a canal 5 miles to the Ballard Bridge where we beached with the aid of two tugs going to get a load here.  Went on liberty – sent Ethel and the kids cards and stuff then called Capt. James, Bud’s friend and went out to Tacoma and saw him – had a fair time – a hell of a trip out there 30 miles by bus. Had to bum back at 2 AM – cold and lousy – I don’t care particularly for liberty in this town although Seattle itself is a nice city.

 

Wed – July 4th, 1945 – 4th of July! And all we did was work like hell. Painted main deck with non-skid paint and then back to the tank deck to get in shape for a load. Also had to divide into crews quarters aft – we are going to carry colored troops damn it. A hell of a 4th!

 

Thurs July 5, 1945 – Went after mail in AM – got none from Ethel or anyone. Had liberty in P.M. – all I did was go to United Servicemens club and reroute letters to her mom Judy & Andy.  Then had a few beers and was back at the ship by 11 o’clock. Not a good liberty when you don’t know anyone.  Ship is being loaded steadily.

 

Fri – Went after mail – none for me. And in P.M. we worked like hell – We had to dump a huge collection of garbage and rubbish and unload 2 truckloads of fresh vegetables and stores with only 15 men. What a job and hot! The inefficiency of the Navy – our tank deck is loaded with 500 barrels of high-octane gas and huge 40-ton trailer trucks, bulldozers – jeeps, 2-ton truck and everything. The supplies should have come first then the load – but no – they came after making one hell of a difficult time to load them in. The refrigerator and store room aft – a lousy job – took till 10 P.M. – my ass was dragging!

 

Sat July 7 – Had liberty – Before we could go we had to wash the ship’s side with diesel oil – that lousy skipper of ours. I went out to Renton to Longacres Race Track – a small track like Rockingham – broke even. Had a shower in a USO there. Had some wine – couldn’t get beer and was back aboard at 12 o’clock. Just as I got aboard the ramp cable broke and I had to work until 4 AM on it.

 

Sun July 8 – All loaded – boarded and batten – we worked like hell all day and moved out into Seattle Bay and loaded ammo.  Had liberty but didn’t take it. Broke and tired.

 

Mon July 9th – Went after mail in AM – rode a ferry from Manchester to Seattle and back. Small boat. Broke down and we had to be towed back. Worked on deck in P.M. and didn’t take liberty – to hell with it – once again no mail – why she can’t write daily I don/t know. I can’t help but wonder what this separation is doing – her actions lately sure have been screwy.  Got a note from Stu Mayberry and Bud Rengman though.  It’s quiet and peaceful in this Puget Sound and very lonely.

 

Tues. July 10 – Reveille at dawn. Moved over to Seattle at 7 o’clock. Got 165 black troops aboard at 10 AM. Went after mail – finally got a note from her – she was “too busy” to write – that’s great! I sent it back to her – my last note for 10-12 days.  Got underway at 2 P.M. and are now leaving Puget Sound into the Pacific. The water has been shut off already so it’s going to be a lovely trip I can see – if only she had written a good letter – daily – what a hell of an empty feeling I’ve got – I wish I knew her thoughts.~

No comments: